Tuesday, November 13, 2012

An Afternoon at The Hartford Baking Company



This month I'm participating in NaNoWriMo, National Novel-Writing Month, where participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. It is my first time doing this and am happy to say that I am currently on track at approximately 21,000 words--though I'm expecting to fall behind by the end of the week. As such, I have been neglecting the blog. Between teaching, tutoring, and writing a "novel" I haven't had much time or energy to post. My students are busy working on their research papers, which is always a stressful time for them (and me). 

Lately, I've taken to reviewing drafts and grading revisions at cafes in the area that provide a nice atmosphere, good eats, and don't mind an adjunct settling in to grade forty papers. I used to never understand how people would get work done in cafes, but there is something about grading that makes it the perfect activity to do in public. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm still living in a city. I know that probably sounds stupid and nonsensical, but so much of living in the 'burbs is done in private. It's kind of nice to do something as solitary as grading in the presence of others.

Last week I paid a visit to The Hartford Baking Co. while I tackled some drafts.The outside is nothing to write home about--it's located in a strip mall. But don't let the lackluster exterior deter you. Inside it's bright and cheery with a kind of industrial/minimalist decor and an open kitchen. More importantly, this place is serious about their coffee and baked goods.


Let me just say something: This is the best scone I have ever had. Ever.  Granted, I've never met a scone I didn't like, but this one surpasses all others in terms of flavor and texture. So flaky, so buttery, so orange-cranberry-ery! Buy two. One for now, and another for later. You'll thank me for this tip.

Next time: Christmas everything!


 

No comments: