Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Ate 1500 Calories Worth of Food At The Shake Shack So You Don't Have To (But You Should)


I had long heard stories of the delicious burgers served at NYC's famous Shake Shack, so when a branch opened in New Haven last year I was determined to investigate. Did their burgers really live up to the hype?  I am, after all, from the home of legendary burger establishments like Ted's, Shady Glen, and Louis' Lunch so my burger standards are pretty high.

Originally, the plan was to have lunch at Louis' Lunch and dinner at the Shake Shack, but our outing coincided with Wrestlemania (which James still watches for some reason) so we only had time for one. This is further proof that Wrestlemania ruins everything, but I digress....From the outside the building kind of reminded me of an Apple store.


But those windows offer beautiful views of the New Haven green and Yale.


A menu for dogs? Now I've seen everything!

 

They also have frozen custard, which I have a weakness for and on Wednesdays they have red velvet custard. I think you know where I'll be on Wednesdays. 

And now for the money shot:


We all ordered single shake burgers, which my dining companions thought were on the small side. They're about the size of a regular McDonald's hamburger, but obviously they tasted much better. Everything from the buns to the lettuce tasted fresh and delicious. And, as was pointed out, they even use the good kind of lettuce, none of that iceberg crap. We also split a side of cheese fries and a peanut butter shake. All were excellent and totally worth the caloric intake.

No comments: