Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Favorites #2: Grammie's Coffee Jello


That's right. Coffee. Jello. Or jelly. It's a New England-y recipe and a Sullivan tradition but, in retrospect, I think it was more of a favorite of just my Grammie and me. My father and his siblings were subjected to her 'cooking' growing up and, consequently, all became gourmands (cranberry orange cheesecake with a milano cookie crust, anyone?). However, one thing she did right was coffee jello and it always had a place on our holiday table. One year my Aunt Maura found a packaged mix in Maine that was ok, but the basic recipe is simple enough:

Ingredients:

2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin

1/2 cup cold coffee

3 cups hot coffee

1/4 cup sugar

1 pinch salt

Tip: Instant coffee is perfectly fine. I'd suggest that new Starbucks Via. Any flavored coffee would be good too. One year we did French Vanilla.

Directions:

In a large bowl combine gelatin and cold coffee

Allow to sit 10 minutes to soften

Add hot coffee, sugar and salt; stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is clear.

Pour into individual serving dishes and chill till set.

Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream 

I found this fun twist that incorporates condensed milk. I'm sure Grammie would have loved it.

No comments: