Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Gardener's Bounty


That's the tricky thing about gardening, sometimes you end up with a ton of ripe zucchinis or tomatoes that need to be eaten within the week. Then it's a challenge to figure out how to use everything in tasty and creative ways. I mean, I like zucchini bread as much as the next person, but after a couple of loaves enough is enough. I thought about canning the tomatoes, but that seemed like a waste. A ripe, in season tomato should be enjoyed in the moment, like nature intended.


When I need new food ideas I usually check out Bon Appetit.com. This recipe for stewed zucchini may not be photogenic, but it is really simple and easy to pair with anything. It also involves mint, which I've just realized is my favorite herb.


Since my mint is still in the baby stages, James' mom was kind enough to give me a bunch from her garden. Thus, I've been able to spend the week eating home-grown tomato sandwiches topped with fresh basil, mint, and this nice cheese from Beaver Brook Farm called pleasant cow. It may not be the most imaginative tomato dish ever, but since I refuse to eat tomato sandwiches the rest of the year I figure I should get my kicks in now before the season ends.

Next up: I decide what to do with the six pears James' dad gave me.




No comments: