Friday, August 3, 2012

Sunday (Farmers) Marketing


As long time readers of this blog (all three of you) know, I love farmers markets. When I lived in Boston, it was a weekly ritual of mine, but since moving back to CT last year I confess I haven't gone marketing as often as I should, despite there being a number held in the state. The biggest one in the state is the Coventry Farmers Market, held on Sundays at the Nathan Hale homestead. It's a bit of a drive for me, but the variety of vendors and other activities made it well worth the trip. Plus, my friend Alicia drove.


Nathan Hale, Revolutionary War hero and local food enthusiast.


 Since there's only like, five cool things to do in Connecticut the place was packed. I really wanted some crepes from Le Petite France's truck but the line was too long. I settled for a delicious apple cider doughnut instead. First of the season!


In addition to the normal farmer's market activities, Kelly Farms was hosting a free pickling workshop. Alicia has been dying to learn how to pickle, so we checked it out.  

Some things I learned: 
This guy is obsessed with pickles.
Any part of a dill plant can be used for flavoring.
Apple cider vinegar is the best to use for pickling.
Shove as much as you can into the jar.
That's it.


There was also an old-fashioned fife and drum muster going on, which, from what I can tell, involves lots of marching in costumes and camping in one of these:


Rather cozy, if a bit rustic. 

  
Though I'm not sure this haircut is historically accurate...


All in all it was a lovely afternoon. We'll definitely be back for the Brews and Blues event on Sept 2nd. Until then I'll be checking out some other Sunday markets. This week: The Hill-Stead Museum's Farmers Market.

No comments: