Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Things I've Been Doing (And Eating) Lately

Apologies for the radio silence recently but I haven't been doing or cooking much, to be honest.

I've spent most of the past two weeks:

Reading Bossypants by Tina Fey (I can't recommend it enough!)
Re-watching all the 30 Rock episodes available on Netflix Instant.
Watching other things on Netflix instant.
Uh...grocery store?

I did manage to get out of the house last weekend long enough to grab a delightful brunch at Matt Murphy's in Brookline Village. It was recommended to me by Joe Murphy (no relation) who claims that he often saw Christopher Kimball, of bow-tie wearing America's Test Kitchen fame, pop in for lunch.

It's a nice little place with an authentic Irish village vibe. It manages to be both laid back and homey with a touch of class. But, what really got me was the bread they serve with brunch. Specifically the brown bread.


Hearty and tasty with an almost oaty flavor. Perfect for morning. I would order nothing but a plate of this with some nice jam. They also make their own ketchup, which is more sweet and sour than the Heinz stuff, with an assortment of spices that I couldn't quite identify. There's definitely some cinnamon in there. Maybe cloves. It's different, but good.

My Smoked Salmon and Vegetable Omlet

After brunch I made James go to Flour with me, because I'm awful (for non-Bostonians: it takes an hour to get there from my house. Whatever! We did other stuff in the area too...) I did buy him a double chocolate chip cookie to make up for it though. Mine was white chocolate cherry chip, and while it was delicious, James' was better.



I'll be back in CT this weekend and since I love cooking in the Bachelor Kitchen I'm going to attempt to bake vegan chocolate chip cookies from Erin Mckenna's celebrated cookbook Babycakes. Stay tuned...

No comments: