Monday, May 2, 2011

Postcard From CT: Some Flan, A Farm, and A Bridal Shower

Alright. I'm aboard the Peter Pan bus, there's a woman with a hamster across the aisle, another snapping her fingers like there's no tomorrow, and a ten year-old kicking my seat every three seconds, but I haven't forgotten about you, Dear Readers. This weekend I was in the good ol' CT for a friend's bridal shower but also kept myself pretty busy with a trip to Barcelona in West Hartford, a visit to my friend's organic farm, and managed to make those vegan and gluten-free cookies I was talking about.

But, first things first:
I've blogged about Barcelona before. My friend Ian, whom I've known from my days (ok, years) spent toiling away as a waitress at Friendly's, works there. Oh, you didn't know I worked at Friendly's? Yep. I spent longer than I'd like to admit serving up Fribbles and Fishamajigs. I can make a Conehead Sundae like nobody's business though.

Anyways, back to the Barc. (Good nickname, right? I'm trying to make it happen.) It's a Spanish tapas restaurant and bar in tony West Hartford Center. In addition to a full dinner menu, a rotation of seasonal vegetarian and meat-based tapas make up the menu. My favorites include the potato tortilla and the cumin-scented chicken empanadas with avocado puree. My friend Kimmy and I also tried the sunchokes and sugar snap peas, which were also delicious
. Sunchokes are the roots of sunflowers, and more commonly known as Jerusalem artichokes. Kimmy thought they looked scary, but we both agreed they tasted delicious.

Now, normally for dessert I go for the churros and hot chocolate. Churros are deep-fried dough covered in cinnamon-sugar--like Spanish doughnuts. Delicious. I usually ask for extra melted chocolate for dipping, because I'm gross. This time, however, I wanted to try something different. Ian recommended the flan, but Kimmy wasn't having it:"Flan tastes like scrambled eggs." This resulted in a back and forth argument with Ian who insisted that most flan does taste like scrambled eggs, but theirs does not.

We ended up ordering a flourless chocolate cake with coconut ice cream. It was decent, but not as good as the churros. When I mentioned this to Ian his response was "Well, of course." Great. Thanks. He then slipped us the flan, insisting that Kimmy try it.
"I'm just gonna say I don't like it, even if I do," Kimmy said, unaware that Ian was standing behind her.

Well, we both tried it and we liked it, for real. Better than the chocolate cake, but not the churros. I swear, nothing is as good as them.


As Ian described, it's closer to a creme brulee than a traditional flan and topped with a thin layer of caramel. It had a thick, creamy texture with a custardy, not eggy, taste. Ok Ian, you've won this round.

Next time: I visit an organic farm!

No comments: