Monday, August 15, 2011

Bittman's Blueberry Cobbler, Sullyfied

mmm warm blueberry cobbler cooling on a windowsill...put it in my mouth

Last week I was doing some research for The Book--specifically the history of the cobbler--and, funnily enough, I began jonesing for some. I bought a pint of blueberries at the Bristol farmers market and found a recipe via Mark Bittman. Apparently his friend got it years ago during a stay at a Southern boarding house and is an old family recipe, or something like that. Now, if there was anything I learned during my research it was that old Southern cobbler recipes will equal deliciousness. I especially liked this one because I wasn't required to roll out any dough. As I've mentioned before, James doesn't have a rolling pin and despite all the progress I'
ve made turning the bachelor kitchen into the co-ed kitchen, we still lack some key tools. This recipe also includes the use of a food processor to combine the dough but I just used a hand mixer, since we also don't have one of those either. You're essentially making wet cookie dough, so a food processor isn't absolutely necessary.

Here's Bittman's original recipe. I didn't have enough blueberries so I just halved everything. I also added a 1/4 tsp of lemon essence, which was quite nice. I'd probably try adding a 1/2 tsp next time though.

4 to 6 cups blueberries or other fruit, washed and well dried, peeled and sliced as necessary
1 cup sugar, or to taste
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits, plus some for the pan
1 /2 cup all-purpose flour
1 /2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1 egg
1 /2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Toss the fruit with half the sugar and spread it in a lightly greased 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor and pulse once or twice. Add the butter and process for 10 seconds, until the mixture is well blended. By hand, beat in the egg and vanilla.

The dough should look something like this:

3. Drop this mixture onto the fruit by tablespoon-fuls; do not spread it out. Bake until golden yellow and just starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately.




No comments: