Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lazy Sunday: The Half Door Brunch

Today I tried to check out the famers' market at Comstock Ferre & Co in Old Wethersfield, but this morning's rain put a kibosh on the whole thing. Boo. No fresh fruits and veggies for me. James and I decided to head towards Farmington and look for a place to eat instead. Along the way I reminded him that The Half Door, an Irish gastro-pub in Hartford's West End, was still serving brunch. Now normally James is pretty indecisive when it comes to food (which makes his association with me all the more puzzling) but as soon as I mentioned The Half Door he was set on it, and with good reason.

Ah, just give me a nice cuppa and room to work on my novel

The Half Door started doing brunch on Saturdays and Sundays about four years ago. I know this because back when I was writing for Metromix.com one of my first articles was about 'Hangover Havens' and The Half Door made an appearance. There's nothing like returning to the scene of the crime the next day, especially when the breakfast is awesome.

The menu takes its' cues from traditional Irish fare, such as the aptly named 'Big Arse Breakfast' or Eggs Benedict served on a bed of corned beef hash. By the time we got there lunch was also being offered, which pleased James even more since he's a sandwich man. True to form, he ordered the corned beef Reuben while I got the Dr. Seuss-inspired Green Eggs and Ham sandwich. I don't know where they get their bread from, but it is amazing. Totally makes the sandwich. I mean, the rest of it was good too but the bread, whether it's homemade or bought fresh from the bakery, takes this to the next level.

My AMAZING sandwich

James' almost AMAZING Reuben

Aside from the food, The Half Door is fun because it's just so darn charming. The atmosphere is very relaxed and has a nice neighborhood feel. Wooden booths line the walls and an impressive selection of draught and bottled beers are offered. James went with a classic Guinness while I went with my ubiquitous hot tea.


We also realized that we missed the first week of the Taste of Hartford, which runs until the 14th. I'd highly recommend checking out the great menus offered by some of the area's best restaurants. And a three course meal for $20.11 is a great reason to go.

No comments: