Monday, August 22, 2011

Easy Roasted Tomatoes

Oh, hey blog. Sorry I've been neglecting you. My cousin (and dedicated P&P reader) Katie got married this weekend, so I've been a tad busy. But I'm happy to report that, along with a new cousin-in-law, I now have a personal pie maker. Man, I just love weddings.


Before the weekend, I had a problem. James' mother kept giving us giant heirloom tomatoes from the garden and I was running out of things to do with them (shocking, I know.) I needed something fast and easy that could work with overripe tomatoes. Enter: slow roasted tomatoes. I found a bunch of recipes for smaller plum and cherry tomatoes but gave it a go with these ones with some adjustments. Basically, you should just bake them for as long as possible. Given the current outside temps, leaving your oven on for three hours can seem like a cruel joke, I know, but if you can sweat it out the results are delicious.


I did these for about 2 hours at 300 degrees, but I would have left them in longer if I had the time. Everyone seems to have their own thoughts about time/degrees, so really it depends on how much time you have and how big the tomatoes are. What I like about this recipe is that you can tailor it to your own tastes very easily and there are loads of different combos. I sprinkled these with salt, pepper, sugar, evoo, fresh basil, and feta but you could try garlic, goat cheese, mozzerella, herbs de Provance--anything really. The sugar helps the tomatoes caramelize a bit and if you do use cheese, make sure to wait until the last fifteen minutes or so.

They can be eaten on their own, as a side, mixed with pasta, served on top of fish, etc.

Next time: I break in the personal pie maker!

No comments: