Saturday, September 17, 2011

Gone Sconing'

Ugh. It's been a loooong week. School is well underway and my students' first paper is due next Thursday. I feel a bit like a mother bird teaching her babies to fly, fly away. I've also been sending out my own writing for (hopefully, eventual) publication. On the home front, I've been trying to go to the farmer's market at least once a week instead of getting fruits and veg at the grocery store, which has made cooking a bit of a challenge, albeit a fun one. I was hoping to pick up some raspberries or blueberries this week for a scone recipe from my ubiquitous Babycakes cookbook.  

I should first say a word about my love for scones: UhhhIlovethem. Generally, any treat associated with tea time is gonna be a favorite with me....But, I feel bad when I eat them because they tend to be filled with butter and sugar.  (mmm butter-sugar-filled scones) So, I've wanted to try the Babycakes recipe for awhile, since I'm one of those people who, instead of 'going without' something, just tries to make it slightly healthier. 

Side note: For awhile in college I used to make brownies from scratch using the One Bowl Brownie recipe from those Baker's Chocolate bars and experimented with using less sugar. The recipe calls for 2 cups and I eventually worked my way down to just 1 cup, though I think the sweet spot was something like 1 1/3 C. Tooootally worked. Plus, the chocolate flavor was way more pronounced! 


Anyways, back to the scones....Sadly, there were no berries at the farmers market. All they had were stone fruits and apples. Good for snacking, not so good for sconing. I decided to go ahead with the recipe anyway and use the remnants of a bag of frozen berries, even though the recipe calls for fresh. But hey, sometimes you gotta use what you have on hand. I used a cherry/blueberry/raspberry medley from Trader Joe's and simply defrosted them in the microwave while I made the scone dough. After draining the berries I folded them into the dough, as instructed. It was admittedly more wet than I would have liked, so I added some ground flaxseed to the mix and hoped for the best. 

The results? Pretty good! There were plenty of juicy berries through out the scones without any soggy spots. You can find the recipe here. Just sub fresh berries for frozen, if you prefer. I think I might have ended up with a cup and a half of frozen then defrosted berries....



Now that Fall is upon us I'm hoping to hit up some local fairs in the coming weeks, because what's the point of living in New England if you DON'T go to fall fairs??? Answer: none.

No comments: