Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Christmas Spirit and Chocolate Chess Pie

It's officially December, our tiny tree is up, my Christmas mix is playing, and it's pouring rain out. Way to totally ruin the mood, Mother Nature...

                                                Charlie Brown's got nothing on our tree


I'm still waiting for those darn persimmons to ripen. Based on what I've been reading, the biggest mistake one can make in life is to eat an unripened hachiya persimmon, so I'm trying to be patient and wait just a little bit longer. 

                                                   Hurry up and mottle!

In the meantime, I made this chocolate chess pie via Jennifer Perillo's lovely blog In Jennie's Kitchen

I've always been intrigued by the more traditional lemon chess pie, mostly because of the name. A quick internet search suggests that this has nothing to do with the board game, but may have been a shortening of 'chest' pie because it held up so well. Considering that it's mainly sugar, I can see why. The top of the pie forms a sugary crust, while the middle stays nice and gooey, which unfortunately doesn't make for a very photogenic pie:



It's quite easy to put together though and James liked it since it's so darn sweet.



No comments: