Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Mixtape

As I mentioned back in September, for the last 4 or 5 years I've done an end of the year playlist. I'm now going to quote myself here, because I can't really say it any better than this: "It catalogues all the notable songs I listened to for whatever reason. It's like an audio scrapbook of bands I discovered, songs I couldn't stop listening to, or the soundtrack to memorable moments. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a song can be worth a thousand more."

Good stuff.  Here's some tracks from this year's edition:


I started the year out living in Boston and ended it in Connecticut. This is a "Boston song"...which probably says a lot about why I moved.



I love me some quirky British songstresses. If you haven't listened to Ms. Harvey's second Mercury Prize album Let England Shake, go change that. Now.


I grew up listening to The Cars and got to see them live at the House of Blues this year (along with another childhood favorite, Paul Simon).


I will someday have a Pop Tart kitty!


If you haven't heard of Lana Del Rey yet, that will probably change very soon since she's the Next Big Thing apparently. Still, great song. Great voice.


Pandora gave me this song. Thank you, Pandora.


Not only does this cover make me swoon, but it got me listening to Bonnie Raitt again.


And here's the original, because everyone should listen to it.


I slacked on listening to new music for a few months, but recently heard these guys. You know it's a good album when halfway through you can already tell that you're going to hit 'repeat'. 

Same with Cults. The chorus to this song is so good. I can't take it. Almost.

So, what were some of the songs you couldn't stop listening to in 2011?

No comments: