Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Postcard From Key West Part Two: Trip Highlights

You know how when you get back from an awesome vacation you're in a bit of a funk for awhile? Well, that's how I've been the past few days. I blame this mostly on the weather here in New England. I am not much of a winter person to begin with and going from a breezy 78 degrees to a windy 10 plus chill factor doesn't help. At all. It feels like all the R&R I got down south evaporated as soon as I stepped off the plan. But, enough of my grumbling. We still had a great trip that I'm excited to share.

And to think, this was my life just one short week ago...

Key West has long been known as a haven for artists, writers, and the generally off-beat. Even though it's a part of Florida, it's technically closer to Cuba and has long exuded an 'anything goes/anything is welcome' atmosphere. But, like most awesome things, it has gotten quite touristy over the past few decades, no thanks in part to the massive cruise ships that dock off Mallory Square every day, but you can still find plenty of Old Key West off the beaten path. The best places we went to were away from boozy Duval Street and hectic Mallory Square. Here's some highlights:


The Truman Little White House, Presidential vacation home for decades and favorite of Harry S. Truman, who ran the country from here for 175 days. 


We walked over to the Southernmost Point, but did not wait in the ridiculously long line for a photo op, so enjoy this one of some people I don't know.

  
Hartford, CT is 1552 miles from here. Not far enough, I say.


The greatest name for a store I have ever seen. Some day I will open my own CT branch of Mr. Cheapee's.

Ok, I'm embarrassed to say this but this is the only shot of the sunset I got during the whole trip. It kept happening at like, 5:30. So early!


I took James to Latitudes for his 30th birthday. It was super nice (and expensive) and right on the beach of Sunset Key. Unfortunately, it was after sunset, so this was the best shot I got. We also saw a 'celebrity' there. Ignacio from season 7 of Weeds! I made eye contact with him when I went to the bathroom!


Our hotel was across the street from American Literary powerhouse and ultimate Man's man, Ernest Hemingway's house, which he lived in for ten years with second wife Pauline.


 It features lush gardens, roaming six-toed cats, and a wrap-around second story balcony.


Of course I took a picture of the kitchen.


His writing studio, much the way it was when he left Pauline to marry third wife Mary. Hem wrote 300-700 words every day. A good habit I need to get into.


The infamous pool, and the largest on the island.


Admiring Papa's foliage.


We had lunch at Blue Heaven one day, which encompasses that Old Key West vibe--relaxed and laid back. Chickens and roosters run underfoot and guests can sit outside, shaded by large trees and umbrellas. Live music is often played and it really does feel like your own little piece of Blue Heaven.


As you may have guessed, I'm partial to restaurants where I can eat outside. Key West is king for that. In addition to Blue Heaven, Kelly's bar and grill also has a lovely outside patio. It's named for former owner Kelly McGillis of Top Gun fame. They also had the best happy hour deal we came across. A couple of these Key Lime margaritas and you'll definitely be on the highway to the danger zone.


Pepe's Cafe was another great local spot for dinner and 'The eldest eating house in the Florida Keys'. It had a nice rural Southern vibe with simple but delicious food and Yuengling for $1.50.


As I said before, we tried to stay away from Duval St. as much as possible but made an exception for the nearby Captain Tony's Saloon. I feel like this picture encapsulates the spirit of Old Key West best.


Captain Tony's was the original home of Sloppy Joe's, Hemingway's old hangout. I don't think bras hung from the ceiling back then.


I ate a lot (a lot) of Key Lime pie. Blue Heaven had the best presentation, but I'm partial to Kermit's. It was the most tart and featured real whipped cream.


As Cuba is only 90 miles away, its' influence can be found all over the island. We had awesome coffee and breakfast sandwiches at the Cuban Coffee Queen. Cuban coffee is quite strong, but it is brewed with a little sugar, taking away any bitterness.


We had a nice casual meal at B.O.'s Fish Wagon (or the BO Wagon, as I kept calling it)--a local favorite with good, fresh seafood and a lot of crazy crap on the walls. The grouper sandwich was particularly delicious.


All in all  it was a great trip. Do yourself a favor and pay the Keys a visit sometime. Eat fresh fish, have some pie, and enjoy the show. 

No comments: