Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Your Literary Adaptation Man Crush Interpreted

Hi, I'm Emily. I have a MA in English. This means that I usually win at Trivial Pursuit, sound smart at dinner parties, and can tell you all about the meaning behind your literary adaptation crush. Or at least try to:


 "What does a guy have to do to win a wet t-shirt contest around here?"



 Mr. Darcy as played by Colin Firth (Pride and Prejudice)   
Ah, the classic literary crush. You are a good girl at heart. Ok, so you've been drunk in public once or twice and you maybe cheated on your high school boyfriend, but that was in the past. When it comes down to it, you just want to get married and have babies with the man of your dreams. This man just so happens to be really wealthy and kind of old fashioned--maybe a little stubborn too. Do NOT tell him about your high school boyfriend. He has impossibly high moral standards and expects you to as well.


"If you don't go to prom with me I'll exact my revenge on your children. And your children's children! And your children's children's children!"

 Heathcliff as played by Tom Hardy (Wuthering Heights)   
You're one of those girls who thinks super hot sex= true love. Consequently, you've dated a lot of assholes for way too long. You love bad boys and think you'll be the one to change them because the sex is just so sexy and how could someone as hot as Tom Hardy not be a good idea? Hint: he isn't. Stay away from guys who spend too much time roaming the moors or talking about their ex that ruined their life, especially if her name is Cathy.

"Eh, who cares about fighting Nazis. I just want to write poems in the desert."

Count Laszlo de Almasy as played by Ralph Fiennes (The English Patient)
You like guys that are mysterious and artsy. If a dude writes a poem for you, it's all over. You put everything into your relationships, and sometimes this ends badly for you. Hopefully not dying-in-a-cave badly, but you get my point. Basically, this guy is all about himself. Next time someone gives you a mix tape, make sure it actually includes songs you like.

"Hey Girl. I built you this house. You won't remember me in forty years, but I'll still visit you on the weekends."

Noah Calhoun as played by Ryan Gosling (The Notebook)
You get points for The Gosling but really, you need to read more. That is all.

"I don't get out much. I just stay in my room and listen to The Cure a lot."

Edward Cullen as played by Robert Pattinson (Twilight Series)

You’re a born romantic who believes in the purity of first love and blah, blah, blah. You and your high school boyfriend did 'everything but' for awhile because you wanted your first time to be perfect. Hence, you were probably disappointed. In fact, guys usually disappoint you and never live up to your expectations. You may also have a thing for older guys—like, really old.

"Could I be more badass, yet charming? I didn't think so."

Raylan Givens as played by Timothy Olyphant (Justified)   
You're a bit of a rebel. You are suspicious of anything too trendy and instead prefer to go your own way, even if this means wearing ridiculous cowboy hats at inappropriate times. You like men who can kick a little ass but still know how to treat a lady right. Unfortunately these men do not exist outside of Elmore Leonard novels.

2 comments:

Katie said...

oh my god emmma... best post EVER

Emily said...

haha I thought you might like this one ;)