Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy League Of Women Voters Day!





...or, as you may also know it, St. Valentine's Day. 

Since James and I both work late today, we did dinner last night. It was a low-key, but cozy meal at J. Timothy's, which is a quintessentially New England tavern. George Washington spent the night there once. No, really. Place is old. The food is a nice mix of comfort food, upscale pub fare, and more modern dishes. They're also famous for their 'dirt wings', which are buffalo wings that have been fried twice (delicious). But apparently J. Tim's needed to take it to the next level, because they had a special that night: Deep-fried buffalo-sauced ribs. They didn't photograph well, but man they tasted good. 


It's nice to be at the point in our relationship where I can order deep-fried buffalo ribs and not 'worry' about 'how it makes me look'. I feel like I should mention that I had a salad for dinner.



As for presents, James got me this wooden TV from 1983: "It's vintage," he said. "I thought you liked that stuff."

He knows me so well.

But really, I came home from class today to a lovely rose plant, chocolates, and a sweet note. I'm currently in the process of making him homemade Jam Pop Tarts, the recipe for which can be viewed here

I'll be making Plum Cherry and Lemon Curd flavors

It's nothing crazy, but since we're on our fourth V Day together, we're past the over-the-top displays of affection. Gone are the days of standing outside his bedroom window blasting "Tom Sawyer" from a boombox, of spending all afternoon writing a sonnet describing the exact color of his eyes, and of filling his fridge completely full of his favorite cheap beer (Note: guys love it when you do that).

But while long term relationships have their little annoyances, like, for instance, when he brings home a $10 gigantic wooden TV that he bought on Craig's List for NO REASON, what makes me happier now than I was before is knowing how happy I make him, just by being me.

So whether you have a sweetie or not, we all have someone in our lives that makes us happy and that we make happy in return. Let them know. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!


No comments: