Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend Update: Some Shoes, Some Books, and Granola Pancakes

I had a pretty productive weekend that involved a lot of cleaning, organizing, sewing, baking, and shopping. The only thing I didn't do was relax. I have to get better at that... 

I found another Coralie Bickford-Smith-designed Penguin Classic at TJ Maxx. This time it was Jane Eyre. 


I also picked up these cute Bass oxfords for 50% off. I'm so excited about them, I just had to share! Ok. I know this isn't a fashion blog, so on to the food...


On Sunday I had a hankering for pancakes. I used to eat them nearly every weekend as a kid and they were the first thing I learned to cook, but I haven't really had much over the last few years. In my house, my mom always used Bisquick, but since my pantry lacked the requisite yellow box, I turned to my well-worn copy of The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham. This is the definitive cookbook for all things breakfast.  Of course, she has dozens of pancake recipes, but I was looking for a basic one. Luckily, Marion claims that her recipe for plain pancakes "tastes better than all the others I've tried." And, it's easily adapted to incorporate add-ins like fresh fruit. We had a box of Trader Joe's Low-Fat Berry Granola, so I added that to the batter. I'd recommend putting together the dry ingredients ahead of time and storing them for later use since, if you're anything like me, you're kind of hungov--I mean, tired on weekend mornings and the more streamlined the recipe, the better.



         I hate James' plates so much I (accidentally) dropped one right before I took this shot.


Marion Cunningham's Plain Pancakes (with granola)
2 eggs
5 Tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar 
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt


Put butter and milk in a small saucepan and warm on low until butter is melted.  Allow to cool. Beat eggs in a bowl. Mix milk/butter mixture in to eggs once it has cooled-- you don't want to cook the eggs! In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until combined. Cook on a hot griddle.

For granola pancakes, I added about a cup to the batter once it was mixed.

This makes about 6 pancakes, so if you're looking to feed a family or a bunch of friends, you should definitely double the recipe.

No comments: