Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kale-Basil Pesto: Surprisingly Delicious



I have a love/hate relationship with kale. I love how good it is for me, but I hate the way it tastes. Thus, I only eat it in forms that completely mask its natural flavor. My newest discovery is kale-basil pesto. All the deliciousness of pesto packed with the nutritional punch of kale. I tweaked a recipe I found on Whole Foods' website for spinach-basil pesto which substituted kale for spinach and walnuts for pine nuts (a cheaper alternative), but assumedly the original recipe would be delicious as well.

Ingredients

2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cups fresh kale leaves
1 cup toasted walnuts
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
S&P to taste

Directions

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to serve.

After I mixed the pesto with parpadella, I squeezed some extra lemon on top. I just love pasta with lemon.


1 comment:

JM said...

Add kale late in the simmer to any chicken soup recipe. It's a Portuguese thing