Friday, September 10, 2010

Kale Storm


This week has been a little hectic. I started a new job and thus have not had much time to sit on the couch and come up with punny blog posts. But, I've still been making stuff, so never fear. Earlier this week, I was leafing through my cousin's copy of this month's Women's Health and Fitness. In between guessing how long it'll be before Brooklyn Decker realizes she's too hot for Andy Roddick ( 2 years) and finding new ways to 'shake up my make up' (plum eyeliner) I found something toting kale as a good swap for spinach. Now, I can see how maybe in terms of nutrients kale comes out on top, but there's a reason it's not as popular as spinach: it doesn't taste that good. Perhaps it's all that lutein.

Regardless, I've been trying to eat healthier since last weekend's baked good n' booze fest so when I happened upon a nice bunch of kale at the farmer's market, I couldn't resist. First I was going to try a recipe for spaghetti with kale that I had seen in Bon Appetit a while back but it called for lemon and I didn't have any. I was also too lazy to leave the house and go buy one...but, then I remembered something a former roommate had made for us last December: kale popcorn, or kale chips.

All you do is tear the kale leaves from the stem, toss them in some olive oil and sea salt, then bake at 300 degrees for about half an hour. This turns those tough and hearty kale leaves into crunchy, salty deliciousness AND supplies you with enough lutein to give you x-ray vision. I used up the whole bunch and ate most of it, though I was nice and left some for Katie. She was equally impressed and now won't stop asking for more. Luckily, she's in Amish country for the weekend (seriously) and I have a nice bunch of kale in the crisper that I can keep all for my self.

No comments: