Monday, September 13, 2010

Sundays To (Open) Market


I moved to Boston for many reasons, grad school being the most important, but coming in at a close second was the fact that Beantown seemed to be the closest I could get to living in London aside from well, living in London. And while those hopes were dashed long ago, I've come to love a lot about Boston. I've written about the number of farmers markets before, but this past Sunday I took a trip down to the SoWa Open market in the South End. (Unfortunately, a lack of sleep and caffeine caused me to misread the map and take a detour through Roxbury, but that's another story...)

One of my absolute favorite things to do when I was living in London was wander around the outdoor markets, each with their specific day and specialty: Borough market was on Friday and was foodie haven, Saturday was Portobello market and good to go to when relatives visited, and Spittlefields was on Sundays and had a bit of something for everyone.

According to the New York Times, the SoWa Open market is Boston's version of London's Portobello market. And while it certainly reminded me of Portabello in the sense that everything except the food was too expensive, the indoor /outdoor set up as well as the mix of vendors gave it more of a Spittlefields market vibe. However, like I mentioned, everything was pretty pricey and the place was crowded with yuppies-- or whatever the millennial equivalent is-- so Spittlefields still comes out on top in my book. That being said, it was still fun to walk around and imagine what I'd do with, say, old suitcases or Darth Vader masks.










Of course, where there's yuppies, there's usually the "hottest" food trend close by. So, naturally, there was an assortment of food trucks. Clover was the most popular by far. Lines never lie, guys. The cupcake truck next to it was so pissed...



No comments: