Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Postcard From (Not) France: Part Deux

Continuing with this week's Francophone theme, I bet you're wondering what I did with that baguette from Le Petite France. Why, something delicious of course! Truth be told, it was partly inspired by my friend Lorene's discussion of a 'grown up' grilled cheese made with Gruyere and ham. I popped into the West Hartford Whole Foods after the cafe and picked up a nice heirloom tomato, because I'm obsessed with them, and some Gruyere. I remembered this recipe from Chef Mike Lata on the Bon Appetit website and came up with my own, less complicated version. The result? Cheesy, crispy, tomato-y goodness:


And, despite Lorene's admonishment that "You always say everything is easy!" this is, seriously, easy to make.

First, I sliced the baguette in half and then length-wise. I then rubbed some olive oil into the bread and seasoned it with S&P. If I had some garlic I would have rubbed a little of that in as well. Then, I sliced some of the tomato and placed it on the bread followed by some more OO and S &P. Then, I sliced some of the cheese and layered that on top of the tomato followed by some fresh basil. I set the oven to broil and popped the bread in for 5-10 minutes--just until the cheese started to bubble. Voile! It was so tasty I made it again the next day with the other half of the baguette. It is actually a good way to use slightly stale bread.

No comments: