Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What Did YOU do this Labor Day Weekend?

Mine was pretty full--so much, in fact, that I am still exhausted on this Tuesday evening. But, here's a rundown:

Friday I went to a show at the Middle East, but I don't really want to talk about it.

Saturday a bunch of us went to Sacco's Bowl Haven in Somerville, MA. The bowling alley is something of a Davis Square landmark, but it recently underwent a renovation which included the addition of a Flatbread Company restaurant--because, naturally, one associates bowling and crunchy hippie pizza. The bowling alley is pretty cute and very old-school. No computerized monitors keeping tally here. And, like most fun things in Boston, the worst time to go is during a weekend. So, we ended up spending the evening at the bar. However, those hippies sure know how to make a good cocktail and at a reasonable price, no less! Behold, my St. Germain cocktail:


But, if elderberry-flavored liquor isn't your thing, they have plenty of beer on draft, all from local breweries.


And, of course, how can I forget the pizza. It's good. Really good. Just like my tip on cooking things in wine, cooking things in a wood-fired oven usually makes them taste awesome. This place is no exception.

Most of Sunday was spent in and around Fenway watching the Sox lose, then trying to forget about it, but beforehand I popped into Flour and had a sweet panini for breakfast. As soon as I saw it on the menu, I knew it was all over: berry compote and mascarpone cheese on grilled focaccia:

As I stood over the kitchen sink cramming the last few bites into my already-full mouth I murmured to James: "They shouldn't have been allowed to create this." Needless to say, I'm going to be paying for this weekend for a while. As Homer S once asked: "Why are all the good things so tasty?"

No comments: