Friday, March 11, 2011

Leftovers


Up to my face in research...

-I need quinces, but it's not quince season for another couple of months.
-Did you know the gelatin for blanc-mange used to be made from sturgeon bellies?
-Before baking powder was invented in the 1850s cakes were soaked with wine to make them more moist (I hate that word).
-Clams weren't included in traditional chowder until the mid 1850s.
-I still don't understand how anyone managed to bake anything successfully before the 20th C.
-Tomorrow is the St. Patty's day parade in Hartford. I wish it was right now. Then I'd have a Guinness in one hand and a corned beef sandwich in the other.
-I really hate when people say 'sammich'. Unless they're under the age of five.
-James just informed me that pepperoni is the new bacon. I don't know what that means and more importantly, I don't want to know.
-If I was in Boston, I'd go to this at The Burren tomorrow.
-If I was really serious about this food thing, I would go to cooking school. In Europe.

No comments: