Monday, May 16, 2011

The Epic Cambridge Post

When I started this blog I was crashing at my cousin's place in the South End, having formerly lived in Cambridge for about two years. I ended up moving to Brookline because of work which has been fine, but it doesn't measure up to The 'Bridge, at least for me.

This weekend turned into 'Cambridge Nostalgia Tour 2011', which is fitting as it looks like I'll be bidding adieu to the fair city of Boston within the next month or so. My bffl Elizabeth was up from NYC for a visit and we spent Friday evening in the cozy, familiar bosom of Grendel's Den in Harvard Square. Many a night during graduate school was wasted away over pints of Original Sin cider and their half price dinner menu. I hear they also have a delightful Sunday brunch, but I haven't made the trek yet.


After waking up with 'Grendel's Fever' (also maybe known as a hangover) I threw together a lovely breakfast of bagels, crumpets, smoked salmon and cream cheese spread, jam, and various fruits:


We then met up with some friends in Central Square at The Tavern, which is sort of a pub-meets-sports bar-meets-upscale pirate restaurant. It doesn't know what it wants to be, so it just lumps everything together. For instance, I could have had anything from eggs and toast (ok) to Italian inspired egg rolls (why?)--luckily for all involved, I went with the risotto fritters also known as arancini.

It was actually really good.

Later on we visited my old apartment in Cambridge where my former roomies were throwing a party, hence a lot of this happened:


After indulging for a while we walked over to Redbones in Davis Square, my favorite southern-style bbq restaurant that I never go to any more. At first I was just going to get something small, but it was really busy and the waitress took forever so I ended up ordering a bbq chicken sandwich.

I usually get this when I'm trying not to eat pork. But, if you're not like me, go for the pulled pork. I also hear the bbq beef is great.


After all that, I'm pretty sure my stomach exploded during the night. Luckily it was fully healed by the time James showed up the next morning. After a fun-filled afternoon spent driving around Brookline we ended up at The Druid in Inman Square because I couldn't find Trina's Starlite Lounge. (I did find it, much later.)

The Druid is about as 'Authenic Irish pub' as you're going to get on this side of the pond, which is saying a lot if you're in the Boston area. They also boast the best fish and chips in Boston. I don't know if that's true, since I'm not much of a fish and chips connoisseur, however I will say that theirs was lovely.



I love unwrapping things, even if I know what's inside...


Fish n' Chips: Better than Christmas morning.

No comments: