Thursday, May 5, 2011

Postcard From CT: A Day On The Farm


So, as I mentioned earlier I spent part of my weekend, specifically Saturday morning/afternoon, helping out at a friend's organic farm in Simsbury. My experience regarding the proper care and/or growing of things is rather limited, which must have been pretty evident since my friend Joey, whom I'm just going to start referring to as Farm Boy (perhaps Farm MAN), started laughing at me as soon as I got out of the car:

"THAT'S what you wear to farm???"

Yes, Joey. I wear cut off sweatpants and a shirt. Got a problem with that? No? Ok.

We planted red bliss potatoes using hunks of older ones in the hopes that the eyes will spore new potatoes....or something. Don't read that sentence again. It still doesn't make sense. But it looked like this:

First you dig a trench and lay down the potatoes


Then you cover them with dirt and top off the mounds with hay.

Fun Fact: Apparently there's bacteria in the hay that makes your arms itchy and welt-y. Thanks for the heads up, Farm Boy.

Other than the itchy arms and constant squatting, it was nice to get outside and actually do something. Pretty soon that harsh summer sun will keep me and my translucent skin inside.

You can purchase Joey's delicious organic produce at the Newington Farmer's Market (Yes, we have one now) or by ordering a CSA, which features 13 weeks of organic-grown produce. Plus, check out his blog Just Grow With It for great, seasonal recipes!

No comments: