Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rookie Mistakes and Persimmon Cake

I don't know what my problem was yesterday. Perhaps it was post-Thanksgiving deluge, but I made a bunch of silly mistakes while trying to make this lovely Fuyu persimmon bundt cake via The Food Librarian.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I tried my very first persimmon recently. Turns out it was a hachiya persimmon, which is apparently disgusting when eaten unripe. One must wait until they are very soft and the skin starts to pucker to get the best results.

However, fuyus can be eaten while hard like an apple or soft. And, hence the name, are a necessary ingredient in a FUYU persimmon bundt cake. Well, I got my persimmons mixed up when I was at the grocery store on Saturday and purchased some hachiyas. I was literally buttering my bundt pan when I re-read the recipe and realized my error. So, off to the store I went. How can you tell the difference? First, you can read the labels. Second, you can look at the shape:


A hachiya is shaped more like an acorn



...while a fuyu is flatter and resembles an orange tomato.

After I got my persimmons straightened out, I managed to screw up a few more times: my butter wasn't soft enough. Then I added the eggs too soon. (Had to start again). I almost forgot to sift all the dry ingredients together, etc, etc. By the time I was done the kitchen was a total mess and I needed a drink. 

Somehow, despite everything, the cake came out beautifully:



 It makes quite a nice breakfast cake as well. 


Now, as for those hachiyas currently residing on my windowsill, well, I'll just have to wait until they're ripe.

No comments: