Saturday, November 20, 2010

Baked Pumpkin Pudding


Blah. I got sidelined by the flu for most of this week, but now I'm finally feeling better. On Monday, my school is having a Thanksgiving feast for all of our international students, most of whom have never celebrated it before. It should be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to eating some homemade kimchi that my students promised to make. As for me, I think I'm going to bring pumpkin pudding, which is essentially a pumpkin pie without the crust.

In the epic Cake vs Pie war that continues to rage, I'm not sure which side I fall on...I love cake, but only if the frosting isn't from a can or too sweet. I love pie, but only if the crust is really, really good. Frozen pie crust just won't do. I mean, if I'm gonna eat a bunch of lard, it better be worth the calories and possible blocked arteries. That's why crisps and baked puddings rock: all of the pie goodness, with none of the crusty extras. Enter: Pumpkin Pudding.


I first made this years ago after seeing the recipe in a Superfoods cookbook my mom had. (This will be familiar to some of you as the time I was on "The Bear Diet"--lots of salmon, berries, etc.) Pumpkin is, of course, very high in Vitamin A which helps you see in the dark or something. I don't have the original recipe, but I found
this one on the internet and it works. Just omit the pie crust. You can make a low-fat version by using condensed skim milk, or go in the opposite direction and drizzle caramel sauce on top. I added a tsp of vanilla to mine.

It's pretty similar to the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe and makes excellent use of canned pumpkin, which I'm a big fan of. I'm not one of those purists who insists on making everything from scratch, but if you are, go ahead and waste four hours. That being said, I'm not much of a 30 minute-instant everything-Rachel Ray fan, who apparently makes a bastardized no-bake version of this with the addition of instant pudding. So if you want to be gross, then by all means, check that out.



No comments: