Monday, November 22, 2010

Sunday Brunchin'


Emily Fun Fact: I love breakfast. It's pretty much my favorite meal, except you eat it so darn early. So really, brunch is my favorite meal. It's the best of everything with an adult beverage sprinkled on top. And, aside from St. Patrick's Day, it's the only time that it's socially acceptable to drink before noon. Brunch is a great time to catch up with friends, rehash the details of last night, or introduce your parents to that nice fellow you woke up with, because magical things happen over eggs, toast, and lunch entrees.

I had a delightful brunch with my friend Bri at Aquitaine in the South End last week, which is a part of the restaurant group that owns Gaslight, a favorite of mine. It was typically packed, as all good things in the South End are, but our waitress rushed over our bloody marys shortly after we were seated, so we weren't too concerned after that. Now, the thing about bloody marys is they have to be GOOD. Otherwise, they suck. What makes a good bloody mary? Just enough horseradish and black pepper to keep it from tasting like V8. This is tricky though, because too much spice can turn unpleasant pretty quickly. The Aquitaine's bloody mary passed the test--enough of a kick to wake you up, but not enough to put hair on your chest. Predictably, I went with the Provencal eggs Benedict, though I was quite tempted to try the Belgian Waffle with lemon zest and vanilla creme. I'll be honest, by the time our food arrived, things were a little hazy from that bloody mary so my judgment by that point might have been a little skewed, but I think everything tasted delicious.


The bad thing about brunch is if, like me, you get buzzed while waiting for your food, Sunday can easily start to feel like Saturday night. It also doesn't help that Aquitaine is in walking distance of Pops, another delicious restaurant/bar in the South End, that just happens to have the best lychee martini EVER. (no exaggeration) In hindsight, I guess we shouldn't have gone there after wards, but unlike Saturday night, one can have a couple drinks at brunch and still go on to have a semi-productive day.

No comments: