Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Zaftig's: Keeping the Balance in Brookline


Living in Brookline and eating at Zaftig's is kind of a no brainer--like trying gumbo in New Orleans or seeing Nirvana in Seattle in 1992: it's gonna be good because the locals won't tolerate anything else.

Likewise, Brookline's large Jewish population means one can't open a deli unless they mean business and at Zaftig's they do just that. So when my father came to visit me last Saturday, I suggested we head over to Coolidge Corner and grab a knish and kvetch. (Just kidding. I'm only this cheesy in print).

Anyways, Zaftig's embodies everything I like about Jewish delis (latkes, smoked salmon, no-frills) as well as a few things I don't (ridiculously long wait times on the weekends). I knew that we wouldn't be seated right away, but the line was still out the door even at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. We were told it would be about a 30 minute wait, so we headed over to Peet's for coffee since my dad needs to re-fuel every couple of hours. By the time we returned, our table was ready.

A certain someone could barely keep their hand out of my shot

After munching on some complimentary bagel chips and looking through the massive menu, we decided to split an order of the potato latkes to start. They were pretty traditional--and that's a good thing, because what would we do without tradition? Eh?

But, for those looking for more modern eats Zaftig's has plenty of twists. My father's chicken pot pie was topped with a massive square of puff pastry, while my cheese blintzes were adorned with an array of fresh fruit. Other not-so-traditional menu items include the chocolate brioche french toast that I almost ordered, as well as the sundried tomato, goat cheese, and chive omelette I had during my first visit to Zaftig's oh so long ago.

It may not look like your Grandma's pot pie, but it tasted just as good.

There's something to be said for successfully meeting (and succeeding) peoples' expectations when it comes to traditional comfort food, while still managing to surprising them.

All in all we both left satisfied and stuffed, just as I expected.

No comments: