Thursday, November 11, 2010

Korean Kimchi

Rainy day got you down? Head over to Super 88!

I've written before about the many perks that come from being an ESL instructor, and while homemade sushi is certainly high on that list, what I truly enjoy is learning about my students' different cultures--especially when it involves food. As part of a recent assignment, I asked them to think of a food that was particularly popular in their home country and then examine whether or not that popularity extended to other countries as well as the reasons why/why not. A Korean student mentioned kimchi, a fermented cabbage dish, and how it has become very popular in other Asian countries. "I think it is too spicy for Americans though," he said. I noted that kimchi, and Korean food in general, has been getting more attention in the press lately, but that it definitely isn't as widely known or consumed here the way Chinese food is.

Table for one, please.

I've been wanting to try kimchi for a while and our discussion pr
ompted me to head over to Super 88 in Packard's Corner and try some. I could write a whole post just on the magic that is the Super 88, but in short it's an Asian grocery store with a pretty great food court. There's about six different restaurants offering everything from Indian, to Korean BBQ, to Chinese Dim Sum all at a cheap price. It's not really the place to bring a date, but makes a great stop for lunch or take out if you're in the area.

Um, I don't think this is enough food...

I ordered the tofu kimchi from Misono Wok, a family-op
erated Korean place. They made it to order and while I waited I grabbed a Thai iced tea from Lollipop, a bubble tea and smoothie bar. It was my first time trying bubble tea, which gets its name from the inclusion of little balls of chewy tapioca that can also be a bit of a choking hazard, especially once you get down to the last dregs of your drink. But, I lived to tell the tale and eat my lunch. For around $8 I got a huge amount of tofu kimchi served with rice and topped with a fried egg. My student was right, it was definitely spicy--more than I was expecting--and I was glad to have my drink to cool down. But mark my words, Super 88. I will be back.

No comments: