Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Best Ever Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate on its way to becoming moussed

Normally, I try to remain relatively modest about my culinary skills. I'm a pretty decent baker and a more than capable home cook, but modesty will do me no favors when describing how unbelievably delicious my chocolate mousse is. Yeah, I said it: Unbelievably. Sinfully. Delicious. Suck on that, Nigella Lawson. (Just kidding. You're pretty and I love you). As I've mentioned before, I took a French cooking class last week and though we didn't have time to make chocolate mousse, our teacher was kind enough to give us the recipe--and now I'm kind enough to give it to you. This ain't for the faint-hearted though: we're talking lots of dark chocolate and even more raw eggs. But, for those who aren't pregnant and brave enough to give it a go, the reward is more than worth the risk.

Chocolate Mousse

Ingredients
6 eggs
7 oz dark chocolate ( use 2-3 oz more if using a Kitchen Aid mixer)

1 stick butter

1 tbs strong coffee (optional)


Melt chocolate and coffee together and let cool. Then, slowly mix in egg yolks. Add melted butter. Beat egg whites until stiff with a pinch of salt and gradually add chocolate into egg whites, mixing outside into the center. This is the tricky part. You want the egg whites to retain their peaks, as this gives the mousse its' nice, fluffy texture. Mix too much and it will get gluey. Pour into bowl and refrigerate for several hours.

Serves 6

Right after I snapped this, I dropped my camera in it. Don't do that, unless you like camera.

I didn't add the coffee, because I didn't have any. But coffee is a nice accompaniment to chocolate because it brings out, or brightens, the flavor. Or, at least that's what Ina Garten says. I imagine one could substitute all sorts of yummy liquors for the coffee as well. For me, I stuck with plain, old Trader Joe's Pound Plus dark chocolate from Belgium. It's a great chocolate to use for cooking or baking at a reasonable price.


Now that I have shared this with you, go forth and whip some egg whites!

No comments: