Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Postcard From The District: Eastern Market


My love of food markets is well documented on this blog so when I read about D.C.'s Eastern Market naturally, it topped my To-Do list. Unlike Boston's market scene, this one is mostly indoors, with a Sunday flea market to boot, and operates everyday except Mondays. Sadly, I couldn't make it to the flea market but even late on a Wednesday afternoon it's still a fun place to visit. As my friend Elizabeth, who spent a summer in D.C., put it "It's the only thing remotely bordering on 'hipster cool' in this town." Remotely hipster cool? I'm there!


All in all, it reminded me a bit of Spitalfields Market in London--except not as trendy or big. Ok, maybe it was just the indoor-ness that connected the two. I really wanted to eat at Market Lunch, a counter-top lunch spot inside, but it's only opened until 3 pm. Apparently they have fabulous blueberry buckwheat pancakes called Bluebacks. The vendors are all pretty friendly too, which helps to give it a nice neighborhood-y vibe. The guy I bought potatoes from gave me a free banana! Granted, he said it was for the baby, but still. It's the thought that counts.

No comments: