Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Rant: In Defence of Healthy Eating

I read a really interesting article on Slate today that floated the idea that healthy eating has become tied to elitism and, even more alarmingly, that we don't eat better because we don't think we're worth it. After eating mostly organic during my two-week stay with my aunt and cousin, I can see this. In fact, even as I wrote that sentence I was tempted to add the disclaimer that my aunt is breast-feeding, hence the all-organic diet. But, why should that even matter?

In most cases, eating food that is fresh, locally-produced, and organic
is better for you. Is it also more expensive? Usually, yes. Is it more expensive than the dollar menu? Absolutely. But, it's food. I know times are tough for everyone right now, but even I (a person without a job) have chosen to spend money on things rather than on making better food choices.

I'm not saying that eating healthy is easy--lord knows I don't eat well for every meal. But the thought that it's become an elitest/self-worth issue is just sad to me. We all deserve to eat wholesome food that tastes good. If that isn't always an option, that's one thing. But no one should feel ashamed or discouraged for trying to do so.


I'm reminded of the whole idea of making "small changes" to lose weight. What about making small changes to eat better? If you can't afford to buy all organic, just buy organic eggs or meat or whatever. LearnVest posted this handy sheet that outlines eating organic on a budget. And, of course, organic isn't the only way to eat better. Whole grains over white flour, seasonal fruit and veg over shit flown in from thousands of miles away, fresh over processed food--whatever your into, there's a way to make it work for you. Does it mean you can never eat another 20 piece mcnugget meal by yourself at 3 am? Of course not. It just means you're trying to do something good for you. Because you ARE worth it.

1 comment:

JM said...

One simple change to your diet: Don't eat anything that comes out of a box. The late Jack LaLanne said that and while there are exceptions (milk, perhaps, or certain canned foods that you practically cannot purchase fresh... say, garbanzo beans) the gist of it is that you shouldn't be eating Lean Cuisines. Like many of us, I make terrible food decisions fairly frequently so this isn't a holier-than-thou food blog entry. Today I bought lunch instead of brown-bagging homemade food so it was pizza and soda. Not good. But no longer the norm. Try to limit the amount of processed food you eat. It's mostly a shitstorm of salt, fat and starch. Save that crap eating for when you're drunk. (Not you specifically, Sully.)