Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I take a trip to the Sicilian Coast...in my mouth


As I mentioned in my last post I made butternut squash risotto as a part of my Valentine's Day dinner. I adapted it from this lovely recipe and added some Trader Joe's grilled asparagus. I purposefully made a boatload so I could finally make arancini, or deep-fried risotto balls, a popular Sicilian snack. Because, like so many things, stuffing it with cheese and deep frying it only makes it better.

I've been dying to do so after seeing Giada De Laurentiis make them on her show. I was a little unsure of how the chunks of butter
nut squash and asparagus would fare, but other than being a little on the large side, they tasted great. Sure, the kitchen still smells like a Long John Silvers and I have to swear off diary for the next week, but it was totally worth it.

I essentially followed this recipe,
since I liked the idea of using panko instead of Italian breadcrumbs, but stuffed them with fontinella cheese instead of smoked mozz. But feel free to use another semi-soft cheese of your choosing.


A nice, big hunk of squash surrounded by melted fontinella. Put it in my mouth.

No comments: