Monday, July 26, 2010

The Perks of Being an ESL Instructor


Today marked the end the first session of a summer ESL class I've been teaching, so to celebrate we had a little party. One of my Japanese students, a woman named Kayo, brought in homemade maki rolls with omelet, cucumber, crab stick, and cooked tuna. It. Was. Outstanding. When I thanked her profusely she simply nodded like it was no big deal, which judging by the quality, it probably was. This lady could easily work in a restaurant, no doubt.

Sushi is definitely one of my favorite foods. Back in Connecticut I used to frequent Fuji Sushi in West Hartford and often daydreamed about eating an entire Loveboat Sushi For Two by myself. However, the closest I've actually come to making my own sushi has been to read some recipes and then pick up the phone and place a to go order. It just always seemed way too time-consuming. I mean, I'm all for homemade food, but sometimes the time+cost+cooking level does not = worth it. Sushi is on this list, as is Baked Alaska and baklava.


I'll admit that when Kayo informed me that she would not be taking the second session I was disappointed, not only for the loss of a great student, but at the thought of never having her sushi again. She's ruined me for the rest of my students. Forget giving the teacher an apple or a cookie bouquet. I want sushi.

No comments: