Saturday, July 24, 2010



True to my word I made panzanella today, which is an Italian bread salad. Traditionally, it was used as a way to get rid of stale bread and featured whatever vegetables were on hand. I had to put a couple twists on mine since I didn't have any vinegar for the dressing or any other vegetables besides tomatoes, but it was still delicious. First I diced two heirlooms and a handful of cherry tomatoes. Then I mixed them in a bowl with EVOO, salt, pepper, some cayenne, a heap of sliced basil, and two cloves of garlic. I let that sit for about an hour, though the longer you let it marinate, the tastier it gets. But, I was hungry and didn't plan very well. Once that was ready I cubed the remaining baguette and tossed it in a buttered pan with salt and pepper. I added a sliced shallot at the last minute in an attempt to make up for the lack of vinegar, which added a nice sweet and tangy flavor. Once the bread cubes were nicely browned I turned off the heat, added the tomato mixture to the pan, tossed well, and added some more basil as a garnish. I love the different textures of this salad and the way the crusty bread soaks up the juices. So easy, filling, and delicious.

No comments: