Saturday, July 24, 2010

That's Chinatown


Now that I've been in Boston for several years, I'm pretty sure I can't live anywhere that doesn't have a Chinatown. Where else can you find cheap and delicious food, random street markets, and awesome people-watching? A couple weeks ago I made the trip to pick up a friend visiting from CT. There was some kind of festival going on (there always seems to be one) and we spent some time wandering around the stalls before deciding to have dim sum. Of course, Chinatown has a handful of dim sum halls as well as an assortment of restaurants that serve what is described as the equivalent of Chinese brunch. Needless to say, I love it.

I've been to China Pearl, which is considered to be the best, but really they're all good. This time we went to Chau Chow City, which automatically wins the name contest. Since it was almost 2 pm we were seated immediately and I began going to town. That's the good thing about dim sum--even if you wait twenty minutes, you can start eating as soon as you see something yummy. The first few times I got dim sum was in Montreal with my extended family, so even though I've had it only when in the company of one or two other people since then, I'm still locked in the mindset of 'Order whatever looks good! Someone will eat it!' Which inevitably means that I order way, way too much food.

Perhaps that's why I love dim sum so much. It satisfies my childhood fantasy of being able to eat whatever I want. This is especially tricky when one is starving. Within minutes our table was covered in plates. We got several varieties of dumplings, sticky rice, rice noodles with shrimp, and egg custard tarts. When we were done stuffing ourselves we took the remaining dumplings home and I am happy to report that they tasted great the next day.

No comments: