Sunday, October 24, 2010

17 Hours in Portland

"I'd like the Grabmeat Benedict, please."

The Tom Kha soup didn't work as well as I'd hoped so I spent most of Friday in bed. But Saturday I rallied and took a bus up North to Portland, ME to visit my friend Elizabeth. Portland is fast becoming one of my favorite cities. It's fun, it's cheap, and there's plenty of young men dressed like lumberjacks to keep a gal like me entertained. We hit up a few bars downtown including Dewey's and good ol' Amigos, 'cause nothing says "Saturday night in Portland" like a pitcher of PBR and closing time at the latter.

The next morning we woke up feeling...well, just about how you'd expect to feel after a pitcher of PBR so naturally we needed to brunch it up. Bon Appetit says that Portland is known for its' diners, and obviously if it's in Bon Appetit it must be true. So, we headed to the Miss Portland diner, which is housed in an old train car, just like all good diners should be. I got the Crabmeat Eggs Benedict (not to be confused with Grabmeat) since it seemed appropriately "Maine-y". I always get the Hollandaise on the side, even though 9 times out of ten I end up using all of it anyways. Still, I like to be in control of my sauces.

It was quite a nice Benedict--perfectly poached eggs, flavorful Hollandaise, crispy homefries-- though not the best I've ever had (that distinction is saved for Katy's in Carmel, CA), but still a nice way to cap off a quick jaunt to Portland.

No comments: