Friday, October 8, 2010

Basket of Toast: The New Breakfast of Champions


For reasons I can't explain (booze) I found myself in the Huron Village area this morning, a place I haven't been since I moved to the other side of the river last summer. However, I was happy to find myself at Hi-Rise Bakery Co. Their specialty is bread, and lots of it. You can watch them make it on site or peruse their assortment of delicious homemade jams while waiting in line. I kept things simple by ordering the basket of toast which comes with a selection of toasted breads, butter, a couple of jams, and maple butter. Nothing clears up a night of over-imbibing like munching on toast, sipping Earl Grey, and listening to Billie Holiday. The place got hopping around lunchtime and I'm sure their sandwiches are equally delightful. I plan on returning for "The Sin Sandwich"--which is basically grilled nutella and chocolate. Sounds right up my alley! The only downside is the place is rather pricey, even for Boston-area bakery standards. One can easily walk out $20 dollars cheaper, with nothing to show for it save a jar of blenheim apricot preserves and a loaf of challah. Granted, there are less delicious ways to blow a twenty but bread and jam still seems a bit excessive. That being said, it's now 8 hours later and all I want is another basket of toast. Bread or crack, whatever Hi-Rise is selling, it looks like I'm buying.

No comments: