Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hot, Hot Toddy

What? This picture is relevant. The hot toddy's in the cup. I'm not a narcissist. Shut up.

Today I walked into my classroom and declared that it was icky outside. Two of my Chinese students looked confused and asked me to explain what 'icky' meant. Eventually, after much gesticulating and the use of an electronic dictionary, they got it. To combat this icky day I decided to make a hot toddy, then write about it. I came up with this idea around 10 o'clock this morning, which should give you an idea of the kind of week I've been having so far...

Anyways, nothing takes the chill out of a rainy day like a hot toddy. I'm rather partial to Grendel's hot mulled cider (it certainly thawed me out on many a snowy night last winter--heh) but was fairly confident I could make a reasonably good substitute. I decided to use that bottle of honey mead that Katie got me in Amish country and mix it with some tea and lemon. The owner of the winery she purchased it from mentioned that it tasted great in earl grey tea, but I couldn't find a decaf version at Trader Joe's so I used decaf green tea instead. I'll be honest: It doesn't taste that great. I blame the green tea. Something about that earthy taste mixed with the mead does not a good hot toddy make. Luckily, there's mead in it, so I'll finish it anyways. But I still learned a valuable lesson: always listen to the people who make your booze.

No comments: