Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tom Kha Soup, sort of...


I'm pretty sure there's nothing worse than being sick and having no one to care for you. Ok....maybe nuclear Armageddon is worse or a Sarah Palin Presidency. But, besides those two things, nothing. Oh, and Pauly D's hair. What is UP with that? Seriously...what was I talking about? Oh yeah. Being sick and alone. I am both and it sucks. There's no one to make me soup or go to the Thai place on Mass Ave and buy me soup, since that's what I really want right now: Tom Kha soup or Coconut Ginger soup. It cures what ails ya, as an old man in an old timey movie about the West might say. No, really! If you have a cold, go to your nearest Thai restaurant and get the Tom Kha soup. I don't know if it's the coconut milk or the Thai ginger known as galangal, but sip a bowl of that and the next day you feel a lot better--at least, that's what I'm counting on as I prepare a canned version from Thai Kitchen. I'm adding some rice noodles and tofu to the mixture, but I'm keeping my expectations low....

You know what? This isn't half bad! Not as good as homemade, but a decent substitute. Shit is HOT though and watch out for those hunks of ginger. Alright. I'm off to sip this and watch Up In The Air. Nothing like old man Clooney and a hot bowl of soup to make you forget about your troubles, if only for a couple hours...

No comments: