Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bargain Costuming in Boston


Like most of you, I have several Halloween parties to go to over the next few days which call for two separate costumes. The first costume is for my school's Halloween party tomorrow and wherever the heck I end up on Friday night. Since I needed to get two costumes, I decided to go low budget for the first one and just use something I already own. I keep seeing this listed as a great way to save money on blogs and such. And while it's sure better than shilling out 50 bucks for a polyester Alice in Wonderland get up, not everyone can 'shop their closet' for Halloween costumes and I don't even want to imagine what it says about me that I can. Anyways, I have this adorable 60s suit that I bought on sale last spring and haven't worn yet:


I figure I'll just call myself Megan and go as Don Draper's fiancee (a step up from last year when I went as "Don Draper's new secretary").

However, I am going to an actual grown up costume party o
n Saturday with my cousins and the theme is "Insane". I know, right? It took me a little while to come up with an idea but who embodies insanity better than Miss Havisham, from Charles Dickens' classic Great Expectations? For those of you too lazy to google, here's a recap: Miss Havisham was left at the alter by a con artist who broke her heart. She then had all the clocks in her mansion stopped at that exact moment (20 minutes to 9) never took off her wedding dress, and somehow raised a little girl (Estella) into an icy maneater. It don't get more dramatic than that. And! Apparently Dickens based Miss Havisham after a real woman. As they say, the truth is usually stranger than fiction.



So, for this outfit I needed to find and old-fashioned white wedding-ish dress and some accessories. I was prepared to have to bleach an old prom dress white as wedding dresses tend to be big bucks even in secondhand shops. But, lo and behold I found the perfect dress for the perfect price: $12! I threw in some lacy fingerless gloves for $6 and a veil for $2.50 and voila! A costume for $20. On the day of I figure I'll put some white flour in my hair and do some gothy-makeup but for now here's a little preview:

"Well, you can break his heart."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY Emma! That dress is amazing! Your text didn't do it justice.