Monday, January 3, 2011

Bricco's Bounty

I haven't made anything interesting as of late. However, I did eat this delicious dish last night at Bricco in West Hartford, CT:

Orcchiette pasta with lamb ragu, plum tomatoes, minted peas and whipped goat cheese

Orcchiette pasta means "small ears", named for their disk-like shape I suppose. I was having a hard time deciding between that and a spaghetti dish with shrimp, escarole, and pancetta, but in the end "whipped goat cheese" won me over. If a dish has goat cheese in it, I have to have it. True story. I was a little turned off at first by the mention of "minted peas" but it worked quite nicely with the lamb--should of figured (mint jelly, anyone?). Oh Chef Billy Grant, I will never doubt you again!

It reminded me of a baked pasta dish I make sometimes:

Boil up your favorite pasta (I like Farfalle) then mix with tomato sauce, some grated Parmesan, spinach, sliced cooked sausage, and a dollop of goat cheese or Greek yogurt.

Pour into a baking dish and top with grated cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until cheese melts.


The addition of the goat cheese (or Greek yogurt) adds both richness to the dish and a little zing.

No comments: