Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Postcard From Boston: Some Favorite Haunts

I've been spending the past month in Connecticut for a variety of reasons; most notably because I was laid off at the end of December and have been too busy (and too lazy) to take the bus back to Boston. However, one of my bbfls was up for the weekend and needed a place to stay so I decided to buckle down and make the trip. Naturally, I visited a couple of my favorite places while in town:

Grendel's Den


Ah Grendel's, my favorite subterranean literary-inspired bar. During my grad school days I spent many an evening enjoying a refreshing Pimm's Cup (pictured above) and their half-price food menu. Apart from the fact that as a lowly teaching assistant it was the only place I could actually afford to both eat AND drink at, G's has a pretty eclectic menu with seasonal specials and a strict "no deep fryer" policy. They also have banging hummus.


Charlie's Kitchen

I don't have a picture from Charlie's Kitchen because the lighting, while flattering after a couple of hours out on the town, isn't exactly good for food shots...because clearly, you read this blog for my photos...anyways, Charlie's serves exactly the kind of food you want at 1 am (cheap cheeseburgers, waffle fries, chicken melts) and the kitchen stays open until the bar closes (a rarity in this town). In the warmer months they have a beer garden, which can be quite lovely.


Flour


Come on. You knew this was coming. I can't possibly visit Boston and not go to Flour. I was in luck too because they had my favorite sandwich special that day: smoked salmon with herbed cream cheese and arugula. It sounds pretty standard but the salmon has a distinct lemony essence that, when coupled with the cream cheese and fresh-baked bread, just takes this sandwich to the next level. I also bought a granola bar, which sounds kind of 'meh' until you actually try it: fruit compote, crumb topping, flaxseeds, some other stuff?! I'm pretty sure I would bathe in the fruit compote they make, if given the chance.

No comments: