Monday, January 31, 2011

Postcard From The District: Coffee Break


Well, I made it outside today. Bonus points for taking the baby with me. I kept things local since it wasn't very nice out. Also, I'm still getting used to the baby-carrier thingy. After doing a little research on Yelp, I decided to check out Sidamo Coffee and Tea which supposedly has the best coffee in D.C. Generally, I'm more of a tea aficionado. But I can still appreciate a good brew. It isn't on the greatest of streets, but the area is going through a regeneration of sorts. Besides, who's gonna mess with this?:

...No one. That's who.

Sidamo offers organic fair trade, shade-grown Ethiopian coffee, as well as a variety of teas, and roasts its' beans daily. The owners themselves are from Ethiopia and have gone to great lengths to give the coffeehouse it's own unique vibe. They also offer a traditional Ethiopian Coffee ceremony on Sundays that is free for customers.

coffee menu and tea selection

I had a cafe au lait and while the coffee certainly had a kick, it wasn't bitter at all. It had a nice, smooth taste. Normally, when I get the similar Cafe Misto from Starbucks the coffee is more than a little acidic and sometimes burnt-tasting. So, for around
the same price as Starbucks you can get a much better tasting drink, while supporting a locally-owned business in an up and coming neighborhood.

P.S.
They also have really good chocolate chip cookies.

No comments: