Saturday, January 8, 2011

I Prefer A 50s Silhouette

I was flipping through the channels the other night and came across the Marilyn Monroe/Jane Russell classic Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Despite my qualms with the title, I love MM and think she's supremely underrated as a comedic actress. (If you don't believe me, watch Some Like It Hot.) But probably the most famous scene from the movie is her performance of the song "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" wearing that hot pink strapless dress. This scene was, of course, channeled by Madonna in the music video for "Material Girl". However. This isn't a post about that pink dress. This is a post about the blue dress she wears in the above image. I'm sorry it isn't bigger. Stupid internet failed me. Here's the scene it's in though:



Isn't it great? Perfect for sailing across the Atlantic on a mid-century ocean liner or simply Monday at the office. I'm not crazy about the gold necklace though. It takes away from the scarf detailing around the neck, which really makes the dress. Le sigh. Now to troll the internet looking for something comparable...

No comments: