Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Postcard From England: Jacket Potatoes


When I lived in London oh so long ago I learned a lot--about myself, about the world, and about food. Though the Brits don't have the best reputation when it comes to the kitchen, they do a few things quite well, namely desserts and comfort food (aside from the blood pudding stuff). If you've been reading this blog for, well, any length of time you know I have quite a sweet tooth. But! I'm not going to write about raspberry fool or Victoria sponge cake. I'm going to actually tackle a savory dish: jacket potatoes are super simple and hearty, making them perfect for winter time.

The name is Brit-speak for the baked potato and is generally considered pub fare. I remember when I was interning at a London magazine and one of the editors came back with a big, hot, cheesy potato for lunch....ANYWAY. Here's my twist.

Ingredients:
4 good-sized Red Bliss Potatoes
1 can baked beans, your choice. For the picture above I used BBQ
4 slices Cabot cheddar cheese

Directions:
Wash and remove any eyes.
Rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Wrap each potato in foil and bake in 375 degree oven for about an hour until soft.

Slice potatoes crosswise and lengthwise.
Fill each potato with a generous spoonful of beans and cover with a slice of cheese.
Put potatoes back in oven until cheese melts.


And voila! Or, as the Brits would say....cheers (?) !

No comments: