Monday, August 2, 2010

Geoff's Kitchen Sink Orzo Salad


I attended the Sullivan/O'Connell family reunion this weekend in Massachusetts. It was great to see everyone, especially since much of my dad's family is spread out across the country. There was plenty to eat of course, but I thought I'd share the recipe for orzo salad that my dad concocted since it was a big hit. He has a well-deserved reputation for being a great cook and baker. Growing up, this was a double-edged sword. For as many memories I have of sneaking into the kitchen and stealing spoonfuls of custard for his famous fruit tarts, I was forced to eat more incarnations of grilled salmon than I'd care to mention. But, now I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want. This orzo salad can be adapted to pretty much whatever you have on hand or want to throw in. Hence the name. What I love about this is the mix of different textures and flavors. My dad says that sometimes he adds feta to "Greek it up a bit." I'd also give an endorsement to some freshly chopped basil. It can be served warm or cold, making it perfect for summertime. Neither of us is big on exact recipes. Just eyeball it and taste as you go along.

Geoff's Kitchen Sink Orzo Salad
1 box orzo pasta
toasted pistachios
chopped steamed carrots
garlic sauteed baby spinach
chopped yellow bell pepper
sauteed onion
sundried tomatoes
black olives
EVOO

Prepare orzo as instructed. Then add additional ingredients and toss together. Season with salt and pepper as desired.


No comments: