Tuesday, August 3, 2010

In Which I Post About Something Besides Food...


Because I do actually have other interests, you know. This past Sunday I indulged in two of them: clothes shopping and pretending I still live in England. Allow me to explain...

Since it was reasonably nice weather a friend and I decided to do something outside. I suggested a visit to the Wadsworth Mansion in Middletown, Ct. It's known mainly as a place to have pricey weddings, but the parklands that surround the mansion are open to the public and really quite lovely. Apparently there will be an open air market on August 22nd--around the time I'm supposed to go home next--perhaps I'll visit. Now, I'll cop to possibly imagining this place as a potential venue for my imaginary wedding. (Hey, I figure it's as close to Pemberley as I'm ever gonna get) But after seeing the place in person, I'll admit I wasn't exactly blown away. Then again, I'm kind of a snob about these things. Moving on...

On the way to the mansion we drove by an antique shop called Never Say Goodbye that was set up inside a house. There was a pretty cool 50s ballgown blowing in the wind outside, so naturally I made my friend pull a U-turn. Though I may have been let down by the mansion, this place more than made up for it. Every room was transformed into a collectors dream and, quite frankly, I can't do the place justice. You'll just have to visit. The owner was incredibly nice and full of information and, best of all, more than willing to bargain. My friend got this amazing Miller High Life light up clock from the 60s for $25 and I got an adorable pair of pale blue vintage gloves for $8.





 Here's a shot of the kitchen...



A small sampling from the toy room...



And hats! So many! None fit me though :(




But, that's ok because then I went and got this one from Target.

2 comments:

Pat's Mom said...

You are evil, Miss Emily, you know my kitchen is 50's kitsch. I am trying to pare down, and now I see this! Can't wait to go! Remember our mission for Kimmy's April fool plan too. I hope to see you, but if you move to Paris, well...

Emily said...

Oh man. This place was kitschy to the max! No Elvis sighting though...