Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Postcard from Maine: The Lobstah Roll Edition

Yeah, yeah, I haven't posted in a while. I was on vacation in Vacationland, also known as Maine, our most Northern state. (I think). Anyways, while I was there I partook in the many time-honored traditional Sullivan family vacation activities: I went to Freeport, home of L.L. Bean, visited Naples to play some pinball, tried desperately to find a Starbucks within 35 minutes of camp, and, of course, I ate a bunch of lobster rolls. You, dear reader, can now benefit from the knowledge and calories I have so selflessly acquired. Behold: The Three Best Lobster Rolls Ever (or, just the three best I had during this trip)...

The Lobster Shack at Two Lights Cape Elizabeth, ME.
Pros: Multi-year winner of "Best Lobster Roll in Portland",
fabulous view of ocean without the added cost.

Cons: Bit of a remote location, lack of indoor seating makes it
primarily a fair weather option.

Freedom Cafe & Public House, Naples, ME.
Pros: Generous portion of lobster and tasty spice combination,
buttery grilled roll, indoor and outdoor seating with nice view of Sebago Lake.

Cons: That piece of lettuce. Bleh.


Dry Dock Restaurant & Bar, Portland, ME
Pros: Nice atmosphere, indoor and porch seating,
good portion for the $$

Cons: Only offers cold lobster roll wi
th lemon...

Now, this list is by no means exhaustive--money for lobster rolls doesn't grow on trees--but, if I had to pick a standout, I'd go with The Lobster Shack. The food is top-notch and you really can't beat the view....

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

loved your ideas, next time I venture out of Newington, I'll print out a copy of your suggestions. I also enjoy how articulate you are! I think I'll be a proof reader or something, I get agitated by lazy language. Good job!